Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Sew we’re a couple of featherweights


For the first time in my life I have sewn something from an actual pattern, with the help of daughter, Shelby. We took this project on during the summer, or I should say, Shelby took this project on by helping me learn to sew. (Thank you Shel, forever a wonderful memory for this mom:)

I had just received the Alpine Wonderland fabric (my Christmas collection for this season with Riley Blake Designs) and wanted to make something with it before the holiday season arrived. We used the berry print in red and aqua (red for me, aqua for Shelby). I just love this little print because it’s so versatile, sweet for winter, yet fitting for the summer berry picking season. So . . . we picked it!

We had also just found a vintage 50’s dress pattern at an estate sale for all of 25 cents, the perfect size, and not yet used. This pattern was made before printing was added to patterns, so Shelby researched how to cut and work from a pattern of that era, and simple simon, figured it right out. She is my go to girl for researching, following patterns and directions, and completing a task. Any task, I believe :)

I have two retro sewing machines, so it was time to pull them out for the task at hand. One of them is just like my mom’s machine from my childhood, a machine I love, because it’s full of childhood memories, and the machine she taught me to sew on. But I also love it because it’s just so tiny and so darn cute. It is the Singer Featherweight, circa 1970. My Featherweight came from a thrift store a few years ago. I was delighted when I found it for $12.98 complete with storage case, attachments and instruction book (I’m pretty sure I got a great deal on that one:).

The other machine was a gift from my dear husband right after Shelby was born. He must have thought I would be sewing a lot for a new baby girl. :) It is a beautiful sewing machine, an aqua Fleetwood, circa 1950’s. Both machines worked beautifully humming along as we sewed the pieces into dresses.

Once the main pieces were sewn together, Shelby helped me put in the zipper. Okay, truth is she sewed the zipper in for me. We finished the remaining touches and completed the ensemble with our signature crop sweaters. I don’t think I need to tell you who’s who in the photo above.

What a fun summer project to get to do with my daughter. I may never get a pattern out and complete a dress again, or I might. I think I will leave most of the sewing projects up to Shelby and all of you other great seamstresses. But I will always keep this new vintage dress and wear it with pride, remembering the wonderful time I had learning from my daughter how to follow in her stitches. Thank you Shelby. :)

1 comment:

Brooke said...

What a wonderful memory!! Love the pictures too!!