Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

Happy Birthday to You!

Each year the day comes. When we are young, we can’t wait for the birthday to arrive. When we get older, we view it a little differently. When we have kids or grandkids, we enjoy their day of celebration by showering them with gifts.

Well, I have learned a new way to share birthdays with those I love. My cousin, who has six boys, has taught them a wonderful way to share their special day with each other and their parents. Each time a birthday rolls around the birthday boy prepares for that day by creating gifts for each of their family members. It becomes a day for them to individually share their love and appreciation to the family. It becomes a day for the family, a day to celebrate their unique gifts, and a day to be thankful for the next year of life.

I guess it took six boys, and their very amazing mother to help me remember what this day of celebration should be about—the blessing of a new year, of being thankful for the family, and of sharing a little something from the heart.
As my birthday arrived this week, I took this lesson to heart, and wanted to share with the women in my family who have meant so much to me. Thank you all for being such a strong influence in my life.

So . . . happy birthday to you, as you celebrate that joyful day each year.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Happy Birthday! Love those thoughts!!

Sheri McCulley said...

Thanks Brooke!