Pages

Friday, April 23, 2010

RetroDeco



Retro: Imitative of a style, fashion or design from the past.

Deco: Short for Art Deco—the predominant decorative art style of the 1920’s and 1930’s, characterized by precise and boldly delineated geometric shapes and strong colors, and used most notably in household objects and architecture. Shortened from the French to mean decorative art.

Well, I can’t say it better than the dictionary. This is the only collection that I have created entirely with masculine appeal. The colors, the shapes, the mood; all from the inspiration of the Deco period.

Whether it be a McCoy vase or the Chrysler building in New York City, there is almost nothing I can’t appreciate about this period in art. The artists of that time were amazing. Their style and attention to detail was found in fashion, fabrics, home decoratives, furniture, jewelry, perfume bottles, transportation, archetecture; just about anything designed in the 20’s and 30’s. Fortunately, much of it can still be appreciated from a trip into a large city, or a trip to ebay.


Two years ago I displayed this collection at the show in a style I felt most fitting for the mood of these designs. Here are the photos of that display.

If you’re looking for a dapper tie, come on by! If you’d like wall covering for your renovated deco home, I’ve got just the paper. If you need some flair in the air for the upholstery in your 747, the sky’s the limit. If you’re a blog-junky looking for a little eye-candy, try my sweet to the core baby and feminine collections. Pick a post, any post, starting just a few days back. But, if you want a manwich (tell me that doesn’t date me:) you’ve got the meal-deal with this collection.

In just a few short weeks I’ll be headed to the large city and I’ll take a moment out to appreciate that best example of all Deco arts, the Chrysler building.

No comments: